Which are the best zero-waste starter kits? Many people are mindful of their impact on the planet and interested in living eco-friendly. For some, this means reducing plastics but others like to go one step further and minimise waste as much as possible.
Joining the zero-waste movement feels liberating and can improve your quality of life. However, getting started is not easy. There will likely be many items you need to replace and you may be wondering where to start. The best zero-waste starter kits aim to help you and can make the swap seem like a piece of cake.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase via my links, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
What Is a Zero-Waste Product?
A zero-waste product is an item that does not leave behind any form of residue after it has been used. This means the product is completely compostable or recyclable, no part of it will end up in the landfill (if the product is disposed of correctly).
Some people go one step further and also include the production of the product in the definition. According to them, a zero-waste product is an item that not only will not leave any waste behind after it has been used but also doesn’t cause any waste during its production.
This also extends to the packaging of the product. A zero-waste product will be wrapped in paper bags or biodegradable packaging material instead of plastic.
What Should Be in a Zero-Waste Kit?
The best zero-waste starter kits are designed to provide you with the basics you need in your daily life to avoid waste. The specific items needed depend from person to person as everyone’s life is different but there are few common denominators:
- A reusable shopping bag
- A reusable travel mug or water bottle
- Sustainable straws
- A hankerchief or cloth napkin
- Reusable containers
- A plastic-free lunch box
- Reusable cutlery
- Soap or shampoo bars
- Personal care products
Not every item will be in every zero-waste starter kit but these are pretty much the essentials. If you are creating your own starter kit, you probably want to include at least some of these items.
Best Zero-Waste Starter Kits
When you are looking for the best zero-waste starter kits, you ideally want to minimise delivery and shipping to protect the environment. Therefore, this list only includes those starter kits that are available in the UK. If you are based elsewhere, I recommend you look for the best zero-waste starter kits produced in your country.
The WAKEcup starter kit is a bit more expensive than other starter kits but it is an amazing value given the items it contains. The bottle is worth £20 on its own and comes with an infuser for tea and insulation that keeps your tea hot for a long time.
The backpack may look a bit flimsy but it is made with leather and is very durable. You can wash it and it is waterproof. On its own, the backpack sells for £35.
The WAKEcup starter kit contains four items:
- 1 vegan rucksack
- 1 bamboo water bottle
- 1 bamboo coffee cup
- 2 bamboo straws
This starter kit is a personal care set including zero-waste items you may need in the bathroom. It is presented in a wooden box that you can reuse for storage and all packaging is eco-friendly.
The Project Eco21 starter kit includes 6 items:
- 15 black reusable cotton pads with laundry bag and storage tin
- 300 biodegradable bamboo cotton buds
- 5 bamboo toothbrushes
- 5 bamboo interdental brushes
- 2 sets of bamboo charcoal dental floss
- 1 reusable storage box
The Healthy Family created one of the best zero-waste starter kits. It is perfect for your personal care needs. With only £12.99 it is budget-friendly but that doesn’t mean you are missing out on anything.
The Healthy Family starter kit contains six items:
- 100 biodegradable bamboo cotton buds
- 3 reusable bamboo cotton makeup remover pads (2 white + 1 black)
- 1 100% cotton laundry bag
- 1 travel size 15g clearing treatment face mask
- 1 travel size 20g natural massage soap
ecKoala presents a makeup removal kit that will help you remove your makeup without polluting the planet and is one of the best zero-waste starter kits. The pads are washable and reusable but still super soft. If you buy a starter kit, ecKoala will also plant a tree for you.
The kit contains five items:
- 16 reusable cotton pads
1 bamboo box
- 1 natural fiber makeup remover towel
- 1 box with 2 reusable buds
- 1 konjac sponge
The starter kit by HotCocoa EcoLIving is presented in a versatile jute bag that you can reuse and all shipping materialare recyclable.
HotCocoa EcoLiving’s starter kit contains six items:
- 1 reusable bamboo straw
- 1 reusable stainless steel straw
- 1 biodegradable bamboo toothbrush
- 1 double-sided wooden nail/vegetable brush
- 1 natural cotton, reusable net produce bag
- 20 ‘single use’ wheat straws
The starter kit by EcLaPepa Boutique is one of the best zero-waste starter kits. It is not only zero waste, it also looks absolutely gorgeous. All items are handmade and washable.
The starter kit contains five items:
- 1 natural cotton market bag
- 3 sets of produce bags
- 5 100% organic hemp cotton pads
- 1 bamboo cotton zero waste crochet face scrubbies set
- 1 100% organic cotton bath puff
Battle Green’s starter kit is a bit more pricy than the others but in return, you also get a large selection of high-quality zero-waste products. Packaging materials are all plastic free and biodegradable.
The Battle Green zero-waste starter kit contains ten items:
- 1 Upcycled wooden cutlery set (16cm knife, fork, spoon, straw and cleaner in an organic cotton pouch)
- 1 Organic cotton string shopping bag (green)
- 1 Large organic cotton drawstring reusable produce bag (26 x 40cm)
- 1 Shampoo bar (vegan, three scents to choose from)
- 1 Battle Green travel tin (fits the shampoo bar)
- 1 Battle Green bamboo toothbrush (with 100% bio-based bristles)
- 1 Battle Green bamboo toothbrush travel case
- 1 Vegan natural deodorant balm in an eco-friendly push up card tube (five scents to choose from)
- 1 Natural loofah exfoliating body sponge
- 200 Bamboo cotton buds
Best Zero-Waste Starter Kits Summary
The concept of zero waste describes products that do not leave behind any trace after they have been used. This means you won’t find any of these procuts in a landfill. Instead, they are either recyclable or biodegradable.
Eco-friendly starter kits are designed to help people make the switch to a zero-waste lifestyle. The best zero-waste starter kits available in the UK include:
- Project Eco21
- Healthy Family
- EcLaPepa Boutique
- Battle Green
Of course, these are not all available starter kits and you may find others that suit your needs better than the best zero-waste starter kits. You can also make your own starter kit by ordering each item individually.
If you are up for more, the next step of your zero-waste journey could be exploring eco-friendly washing-up liquids.
If you like this post, please help Ecoralive grow by sharing it with your friends on social media.